My Childhood Artwork


Like most creatives, art has been my passion from a very young age. Just give me a pad of paper and a pen or two and I'd be happy for hours as a child - and nothing much has changed to this day. At the weekend, I thought it'd be fun to take a little break from my uni work and have a look at some of the artwork I've created over the years.


If anything, the morning spent rifling through piles of drawings and collages taught me these two things - 1. I liked to draw the seaside & 2. I really REALLY liked to draw the seaside! Everything I'm sharing here was created between Nursery and Year 1 in primary school (so between the ages of about 3 and 6). I was in fits of laughter at points while looking at these so please play nice in the comments! So without further ado, here is a selection of the masterpieces that came to light...


This 'self portrait' is either incredibly abstract or I'd eaten one too many vegetables that week. Not 100% certain of the reasons for my choice of colours, but my nursery teacher seemed to like it! The house is marginally better, however for some reason I always seemed to draw my house detached, even though I lived in a semi-detached until I was about 14. 

Lots of the art I found came from pages in old school books. With joking aside, the fact that painting the sea and the beach seemed to be my default when I was young was so interesting to see. I'm not sure I've changed a bit since then. The beach is still my favourite place in the world and being at the seaside inspires me and my work so much. 


And to round it all up, I thought this was a nice one to finish with - says it all really...

I came across stacks and stacks of past drawings so a follow up post might come in the future if that's something anyone would like to see - please let me know if it is! If anything it will give us all something to chuckle at. I might do a little series and share some things from when I was slightly older than this, when I'd mastered the art of holding a brush and choosing appropriate colours perhaps!

What was your artwork like as a child? And have you kept it all over the years? Has art always been what you love to do? This experience really made me realise the importance of keeping your work safe for the future even if you don't like it at the time. It's fun to see what's changed (or hasn't changed as the case may be!) over the years.  

Post a Comment