My 2016 Resolutions


Happy New Year lovely people! I found myself in two minds about whether to write this post or not. Maybe it's because every man and their dog blog writes a resolution post, or maybe it's because there's so much cynicism surrounding the whole idea of new years resolutions. However, when I thought back to my 2015 resolutions post, I realised that the very act of publishing my intentions for the year ahead for all to see was the thing that motivated me the most to complete them. In committing my goals to (virtual) paper, I managed to successfully achieve 5 of the 6 goals I set myself last January (sorry art skills - drawing more fell by the wayside a bit!).  So with that in mind, I've decided to go ahead and set myself some new goals for 2016, these will be my personal resolutions and blogging based ones will come in the next post...

Get my health in check  

*Groan* Not another drop in the "get fit" resolution ocean! But after receiving some fairly serious health news towards the end of 2015, there are certainly a few lifestyle changes I would like to make this year. It's not about losing weight or trying to look a certain way, but more about looking after my body a bit more. I'll be setting myself smaller, more manageable goals to help me with this as the year goes along. 

Do more personal work 

When it comes to my design work, the vast majority of what I create is for university briefs. In some ways this is ok, I am focused on my degree and want to do my best, but this year I'd like to take time out to design something just because I want to, not because I have to. Often I feel guilty about making personal work because I feel like it somehow takes away from my university work, when in fact I'm sure that the opposite is probably true. The more I design the better I will get, and the further I will get with developing my own personal style.

Learn to cook more meals

Now that I'm living at university, I have to cook a whole lot more than I used to. I do actually enjoy cooking for myself and I eat relatively well for a student, but I do find myself rotating the same handful of meals over and over again. In 2016 I'd like to expand my horizons on the cooking front and learn how to make a bigger variety of meals, and hopefully a few healthy ones too.

Visit new places 

As a student, the money I have for travelling is pretty limited. I have saved hard to book a holiday to Italy with my boyfriend in the summer, but I won't be able to afford any other foreign adventures. Nonetheless, this year I want to explore new places a bit closer to home - perhaps squeeze in a few weekends away in places I can easily reach by train. 

Become more confident in my appearance 

This is a tough one, probably even more tough than improving my health. I want to improve the relationship that I have with my appearance - feel more confident, take more selfies, be less hard on myself and become more self-accepting.

Read 10 books

Yep - 10 doesn't seem so many when there's people setting themselves 50 books to read this year or even more! For me though, 10 would be a big achievement. I love books and I truly believe in the importance of reading, but I am just so damn slow at it! It blows my mind that people can whip through a novel in a few days when it can take me a week to get through just one chapter. I want to read more design books and also take the time to read some fiction this year, something I haven't done for a long time. 

So there's my 6 new goals for 2016. Hopefully this year I can go one better than 2015 and achieve them all. I realise that some of them are less measurable than others, but each of them is something that I believe would improve myself or my life in some way. In my next post I will discuss what I want to achieve in terms of my blog, so I've really got my work cut out for the next 12 months! 

What are you hoping to achieve in 2016? Whatever it is, I hope the year brings you health and happiness!

Follow

Post a Comment