My Favourite Documentaries


Who doesn't love a good documentary? For a while I thought my addiction to factual programs was fairly unique, but then came Netflix and Twitter and I soon realised that I'm far from alone in my love of all things crime, nature and history. Today I thought I'd share a list of some of my all time favourite documentaries. There's everything from design, murder, feminism, nature and more covered so hopefully you'll find something new to catch your interest for next time you're stuck on what to watch!

Helvetica 
Helvetica is a documentary film about typography and graphic design. While it is centred around the typeface 'Helvetica', the documentary looks at the larger conversation about the way type affects our lives and encompasses the worlds of design, advertising, psychology, and communication, and invites us to take a second look at the thousands of words we see every day. Not for everybody, but for a type geek like myself this documentary is a must!

Hillary Clinton: The Power Of Women
In 1995, Hillary Clinton made a groundbreaking speech in Beijing, setting down a challenge to the world: to treat women's rights as human rights. Twenty years on, this documentary asks: has anything really changed for the world's women? I found this documentary incredibly interesting not just in terms of the struggle many women around the world still face simply for being female, but also the lifelong work of Hillary Clinton to help them.

Blurred Lines: The New Battle Of The Sexes 
Another documentary focusing on the role of women in the modern world. This program explores whether there's a new culture around today in which it's acceptable to write about, talk about, and feature women in a sexually offensive and even abusive way, or whether women simply need to 'man up' and get used to the 21st century world.

The Bridge 
This heartbreaking documentary follows some of the stories of the many people who throw themselves off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Fransisco every year. It features interviews with family and friends of some of the identified people who had committed suicide during the documentary's filming.

Catching A Killer: Crocodile Tears 
This documentary uniquely looks at killers who have themselves appeared on television appealing for information on the whereabout of their own victims. It's a fascinating insight into the habits of liars and criminals trying to cover their tracks, definitely one for those interested in criminal psychology!

The Blue Planet
I could have made a whole list dedicated only to my favourite nature documentaries, but instead I've just included my all time favourite series! Most of us probably know that David Attenborough is the king of nature so of course it has to be one of his gems that made the list. I don't know whether it's because I'm a scuba diver, my love of the ocean or the fact that there's still such mystery surrounding what lies beneath that makes this series so appealing, either way it's a must watch on a rainy autumn afternoon!

I could go on and probably make a list ten times the size of this but there's just a handful of the documentaries I would recommend. I'd love to hear your suggestions on what I should watch next - you can never have too many programs on your to-watch list and I'm constantly searching for something new to feed my addiction!

Post a Comment