Manchester Jazz Festival 2015: The Launch Party


A few months ago, I wrote a post about the fact that my painting was going to be used across the marketing campaign for this years Manchester Jazz Festival, and their 20th anniversary celebrations. On Friday 31st July I was invited down to the VIP launch party that kicked off the 9 day event in Albert Square, Manchester. It was a really great night and I was introduced to a lot of the lovely people that made it all happen and brought this campaign to life over the past few weeks and months.


The atmosphere in and around Albert Square was buzzing throughout the evening and it was a real honour to hear such a warm response towards my contribution to the festival from so many people. I also got a thanks in the opening speeches which came as a complete surprise! 


The following evening, I was invited onto the stage before the Makanitza gig (the band who's song my painting is based upon) to talk about the work and how it came about. It was definitely nerve-wracking but everybody has been so supportive and positive so I only thought it right to say a bit about my thought process and how the music compelled me to create this particular piece.


Before the launch began, I went around Manchester trying to spot the marketing wherever I could and get some photographs for my portfolio. It's incredibly surreal to walk around my home city and see my work displayed on everything from large scale digital screens, to bus stops, to t-shirts and CDs, to booklets, beer pumps and even a tower of cupcakes! The people of MJF have been so generous towards me and I am so grateful to have had this amazing experience. It's been lovely to see the overwhelming positivity not just towards my painting but towards the festival as a whole and I'm so glad to have been a part of celebrating 20 summers of jazz.




Manchester Jazz Festival runs from 31st July - 9th August 2015, check the website for event details!

Post a Comment